by Julianna Gąsiorowska

Mój ulubiony quilt / My favourite quilt


Sew Mama Sew runs a series about favourite quilts. I thought that it would be good to take part in it and write down some feelings and experiences.


I've made many quilts that I like, but there's one very special to me. I should be a bit surprised that I like this quilt the most (ok, let's be honest: I LOVE THIS QUILT:), because when I finished it (in November last year), I wasn't sure if I like it. At first I thought that this quilt is too dark for my taste and very far from my comfort zone (I've never used so much brown and orange in one quilt). But while it was hanging on the wall in our living room I was falling more and more in love with this quilt. When spring this year begun, I hid it in the closet and hang more spring-ish wall hanging (this one), but after a few weeks I hang back my favourite quilt, because I was missing it a lot! Now I miss my quilt again, because a few days ago we gave it to our friend, who promised take care of it while we have a makeover in our flat. It will be back asap when we finish everything (probably in September, now we are almost literally sitting on the boxes with all the things packed in:).

I had to admit that this quilt caused some sort of dissappointment too. It took part in Double Wedding Ring Challenge, but the judges didn't like it. I was hoping that this quilt will bring me some honorable mention position, because many many people gave me a very positive feedback during the contest. But it didn't. Anyway, I'm not feeling bad about this, because I made this quilt for fun and to try something new, the 'dissappointment' wasn't big or serious. There were only a few minutes after reading the contest results when I felt a bit underestimated. Now I know that I shouldn't felt any second like that and it was childish:)

So here it is (Postmodern wall hanging):
I'm sure if I could make this quilt again, I wouldn't change a thing (I know that there are some imperfections, but I learnt how to love these parts too:). I achieved the result that I wasn't expected. I wanted just to play with fussy cuts of Suzuko Koseki prints, but I didn't know that I will like so much usage of orange and brown. So I learnt a lot while making this quilt and I finally find out that I could go out of my comfort zone and still create something I love.

If you would like to share your story, just go to Sew Mama Sew blog and create new post on your blog about your favorite quilt. The rules are described for example HERE, right under the amazing quilt made by Alison (Little Island Quilting).

15 lovely comments / miłych komentarzy:

  1. I love this quilt, too! I think you did a fantastic job making this traditional block into a very modern and even edgy version. The colours are bold, the fussy cut text is spot on and the fabric selection is wonderful. I wouldn't change a thing, either! Definitely one of my favourites.

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  2. Świetny wybór, Julka! Też uważam,że jest to jeden z Twoich najlepszych projektów:)

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  3. Też uważam, że dokonałaś dobrego wyboru :) Mi osobiście podoba się dobór użytych kolorów i niczego bym w nim nie zmieniała :)

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  4. This is indeed a beautiful quilt, I wish I could put fabrics together in such a way.

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  5. Zgadzam się z Twoim wyborem! Zdecydowanie ten projekt jest świetny!!! Pięknie prezentuje się na ścinie :)
    Pozdrawiam
    Kamila

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  6. W dalszym ciągu bardzo, bardzo mi się podoba.

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  7. I think the quilt is gorgeous! Judging from the photo of it hanging on the wall, I thought you probably have a bent for darker jewel tones, but I clicked on the spring wall hanging and I see you probably like more brights? I think you put a lot of effort into this quilt--it shows with the way you cut the centers of the rings and how the letters to modern are all there. I also really like the pillow in the spring wallhanging post with the text fabric centers of the blocks. Very pretty!

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  8. Your quilt is so beautiful! I could look at it for hours! So many great fabrics, colours and fussy cuts!

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  9. Wow! This quilt is just amazing! I can see why it's your favorite. I love how rich and saturated with color it is and also the whimsical fabrics--just great. Thanks for sharing!

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  10. I think the fussy cuts make this quilt extra special

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  11. This is lovely. I can't get over how striking it is! Beautiful work!

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  12. Your quilt is SPECTACULAR!! your use of fabric, colors.. everything about your quilt is yummy! So glad you posted it at Sew Mama Sew and i get to see it! I shared my favorite quilt at http://blog.patsloan.com/2014/06/pat-sloan-my-favorite-quilt-.html

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  13. This is fantastic! LOVE what you've done here! Thanks for sharing!

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  14. It's a very different color scheme but I can definitely see how it grows on you. I love the mix of prints and the words. Well done!

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  15. Ta praca jest olśniewająco piękna. Wiele widziałam prac buszując po Internecie, ale ta zachwyciła mnie najbardziej. Zajrzałam w miejsce, gdzie są prezentowane ulubione quilty. Piękne, ale ta bije je na głowę. Jak tylko tu zaglądam, zawsze patrzę na to cudo - jedyne na całym świecie!!!

    OdpowiedzUsuń

Veni... Vidi... Comentare...:)))

Dziękuję za pozostawiony przez Ciebie ślad!
W miarę możliwości staram się odpisać e-mailowo autorowi każdego komentarza. Moje odpowiedzi na blogu zamieszczam, gdy może to pomóc innym czytelnikom.

/ Thank you for your lovely comment!
If possible, I try to respond to every comment. I put my answers on the blog when it could help other readers.

>